Friday 19 September 2008

6 months on


It's been 6 months since I left work and time, perhaps, for a little round up of where I'm at.
To start, I have challenged myself professionally more in the past 6 months than at anytime in the previous 6 years. As a result I've done so much that I never thought I would have the courage to do and I'm proud of myself. I have produced some beautiful images too.
However, going freelance has been much harder than I thought it would be. When I was working full time I felt that all I needed was more of a chance to get my name known and the work would come rolling in. It hasn't. That's not to say I haven't hit the targets that I set myself for my first half year trading, but it's been a slog and sometimes downright depressing.
I spent a lot of time cold calling companies to no avail and chasing work that never materialised. Most of my work has come from sources much closer to home. I don't mean my Mum and Dad but through contacts from friends. Once the word gets out that you are a photographer, people tend to remember and think of you if they need something done.
I have also spread myself pretty thin, trying to work out where I wanted to take my photography. Now, I believe I have worked out the route I want to take and narrowed it down to a couple of areas to concentrate on. I might have arrived at this point a little earlier if I had not simply believed in what I do best.
So, my chosen fields of expertise are:
Events and Portraits photography
Fine Art photography and agency work
It still feels like a lot to get my head round but manageable.
So, looking ahead, I hope that in the next 6 months I can build up my work and continue to challenge myself everyday and that you guys will keep looking in on me to check my progress...

2 comments:

  1. Keep chugging along, my brave friend! It sounds like you've learned a lot about yourself and the industry in your six months at it. I hope the next six prove to be profitable in all possible ways, including recovering your external drive!)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete